Want to know the details about TikTok Shop? Of course you do. Keep reading to learn all about the juicy features, if you can access them, and if TikTok Shop is a good thing for creators.
What is TikTok Shop?
TikTok Shop is an in-app shopping solution for TikTok. It allows users to buy products directly while watching TikTok LIVE videos, browsing in-feed videos on the For You page, clicking on brand profiles’ pinned shopping badges, or through the handy new ‘Shop’ tab.
In a nutshell, TikTok Shop is an all-in-one shopping experience for folks who don’t want to leave the platform while browsing.
Is TikTok Shop replacing TikTok Storefront?
Previously, TikTok held partnerships with e-commerce companies like Shopify. These storefront integrations formed TikTok Storefront, which helped the platform host and fulfill orders.
However, as TikTok Shop is now established, these relationships have come to an end. From September 12, 2023, TikTok Storefront via Shopify will be unavailable. To keep the wheels spinning, sellers will have to migrate to TikTok Shop.
Is TikTok Shop available everywhere?
TikTok Shop is currently available in eight territories: Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, the Philippines, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
We expect TikTok Shop to launch across more countries as the weeks, months, and years tick by, but for the moment, it’s just those eight.
How do you access TikTok Shop?
If you’re in a country where TikTok Shop is available, opening and accessing it is super easy. Just open your TikTok mobile app, then hit the ‘Shop’ tab.
Do you need 1,000 followers to sell on TikTok Shop?
There’s often a follower threshold for certain privileges and features on social media. For example, you need at least 1,000 TikTok followers to start streaming on TikTok LIVE.
However, TikTok Shop doesn’t have that same barrier to entry. As long as you’re in one of the countries where TikTok Shop is available, you should be good to go.
How do you set up TikTok Shop?
Setting up your stall on TikTok Shop is relatively straightforward. Let’s look at how you do it.
- Head to shop.tiktok.com, then click ‘Get Started.’
- Choose whether you’re a seller, creator, partner, or affiliate – we’ll get into all of those further down. For this tutorial, let’s assume that you’re a seller. Select ‘Seller,’ then click ‘Learn More.’
- Select the region where you’re selling. You’ll be prompted to either create a TikTok Shop account, or log in with your existing TikTok credentials. It might be worth creating a separate TikTok Shop account, just in case you change your mind regarding content, names, or products later down the line. It offers that extra bit of flexibility, as you’re only allowed to open one TikTok Shop per private person.
- Once you’ve logged into your TikTok account or created a new TikTok Shop profile, select ‘Register as a merchant.’ You’ll be asked to fill in your shop name, business type, and more. Be as thorough as possible, as this will make the approval process smoother.
- You’ll be required to upload a scan of an identity document. These documents may vary from country to country, but you can assume it will be a valid driver’s license or passport. This step needs to be completed whether you’re a sole trader or a massive business; the store’s primary taxpayer must have their identity verified for security reasons.
- Once you’ve done that, review and confirm that all the information you’ve entered is correct. Then, just accept the Merchants Terms of Service and click ‘Submit.’
- Your application will be reviewed by TikTok, which usually takes between two and three days. If everything’s filled out correctly and there are no follow-up questions, TikTok should approve you. Then, you can fill in your bank details, upload products, and start selling!
How do you use TikTok Shop?
Aside from people buying products, TikTok Shop is used by four main groups. Let’s look at each one now.
Regular sellers use TikTok Shop because it captures the audience in-app. Some upsides include:
- Purchase and conversion: There’s no redirecting to third parties or sites users are unfamiliar with. Because the transaction is completed entirely through TikTok, sellers can expect higher conversion rates and sales.
- Campaigns and promotions: TikTok Shop packs its own specialized campaigns and promotional tools, separate from regular TikTok advertising. This can help you capitalize on TikTok trends by promoting any related merch, products, or services you might already offer.
- Direct creator collaboration: The TikTok Shop affiliate program lets sellers discover, communicate, and work with creators, all in-app.
- Performance analysis: You can track all the usual stats in TikTok Shop, including customer reviews, transaction data, traffic, and performance.
TikTok is a creator-friendly platform, but does TikTok Shop foster that feeling? We think so. Some of the cool things available to creators are:
- Integrated simplicity: Add your products to in-feed and LIVE videos with just a few clicks, then measure their performance. No third-party tools or strange restrictions – TikTok Shop lets creators peddle their wares quickly and efficiently.
- More brand opportunities: If you want to access free products to promote, you can contact brands directly through TikTok Shop. You’ll have the chance to forge short-term and long-standing relationships with the brands you love – all within the app.
Partners are important to both brands and individual creators, but how does TikTok Shop cater to their needs? Let’s have a look:
- Training and development: TikTok Shop offers dedicated e-commerce and platform training, aimed at getting you up to speed and kickstarting your growth on the platform.
- Rewards: Rewards, incentives, and commissions are all up for grabs.
- New leads: Find new brands and creators to collaborate with, all directly through TikTok Shop.
TikTok Shop’s affiliate program works for sellers and creators. Here’s why:
- Sellers can easily find new creators: No complicated outreach. No following up on emails people never read. Get in touch through TikTok Shop, strike a deal, and collaborate with creators who can sell your product like honey to a bear.
- Creators can earn: Whether that be free products, commission on products sold, or upfront money from a deal, TikTok Shop doesn’t leave creators out in the cold.
Do creators make money with TikTok Shop?
Yes, creators can make money with TikTok Shop! You can ship out your own merch as a seller, earn a commission on products sold, or secure a paid-for brand deal. There’s no minimum payout publicly listed, but creators can make real money through TikTok Shop.
Is TikTok Shop safe to use?
Online shopping’s a jungle, so it’s reasonable to assume TikTok Shop could be unsafe to use. However, the storefront boasts two features that’ll put your mind at ease:
- Fulfilled by TikTok is a logistics solution that takes the heat off sellers. TikTok Shop can store, pick, pack, and ship your products – it’s the perfect fix for large-scale operations.
- Secure Checkout helps facilitate purchases in-app. TikTok Shop works with a trusted third-party payment platform to offer a secure checkout experience.
As a bonus, all protected US-user data is stored in the United States.
So, now that you know what TikTok Shop is, how it works, who can access it, and how you can make money there, why not give it a try?
And if you need a soundtrack for your ads or commercial content over on TikTok Shop, why not dive into Epidemic Sound’s catalog? We’re packing more than 40,000 royalty-free tracks.
Royalty-free music is music that you can use in content without having to pay royalties to artists or rights holders every time it’s played. But royalty-free music companies aren’t always alone in owning the rights to the music in their catalogs. This means you might still get copyright claims from other rights holders and lose the right to monetize your content when you publish it on digital platforms. Confusing, right? We’ve got it covered.
We exclusively own the rights to all music in our catalog. This lets us offer you a subscription with a license including all necessary rights to use the music and sound effects from our catalog in your content. You can publish it anywhere online, without having to worry about problems with copyright. Additional fees or royalties? Forget about it.
It’s more than royalty-free. More like worry-free. Check out the 30-day free trial, give your reaction videos the glow-up they deserve, and start soundtracking the world today.
Want to level up your TikTok game? Whether you're an advertiser looking for music for TikTok campaigns or a creator getting to know the platform, we’ve got you covered. Become a TikTok master with Epidemic Sound.